- Brick Cladding
Project Case Studies
Mississippi Mills, Almonte, Ontario
Cleland Jardine Engineering was retained to perform an assessment of the building masonry and establish a program of repair in order to preserve this historical building. The building was constructed in phases between 1866 and 1904 and was owned and operated by the Rosamond family. The building was the second largest woolen mill operating in Canada and represents a well preserved example of 19th Century mill architecture. The mill was successfully re-purposed to a condominium, remaining a valuable private asset while preserving the historical building characteristics for generations to come.
A comprehensive study of the masonry’s current condition as well as the history of its construction and materials was performed in order to provide the client with a full understanding the building’s current condition, repair strategies and limitations. The investigation involved a complete survey of the building’s exterior using a telescopic lift. Research of historical documentation was performed and interviews of individuals involved in the conversion of the mill to a condominium were conducted to provide a current evaluation of the building.
Cleland Jardine Engineering performed an investigation of the clay brick masonry cladding due to concerns related to the condition and stability of the cladding system. The investigation included the coordination of exploratory work to determine the wall assembly, underlying conditions and extent of deterioration. Following our investigation a report was issued to the client outlining the condition and providing options for repair.
Implementation of the repair recommendations followed with the development of technical repair documents, tendering, contract administration and field review services being provided.
The Victoria Woolen Mill, a six-storey heritage stone masonry and timber building, was constructed in 1863 and operated as a carding mill for over a hundred years. Subsequently converted to retail and commercial use. A more recent conversion to condominium use on the upper floors required rehabilitation and modernization to satisfy code occupancy requirements including the addition of an elevator to serve all levels.
The objective was to produce an attractive residential building highlighting the many heritage stone and timber elements, rehabilitation of building envelope, and the preparation of a detailed report identifying a 30 year plan for maintaining the building. Our responsibilities included review of existing documents, previous studies, condition assessment, floor and lateral load assessment. Assessment of exterior loadbearing rubble masonry walls, development of repair program and cost estimates. The major challenge was to maintain and provide remarkable heritage spaces while meeting modern day code requirements and comfort levels. Previous renovations had produced some localized envelope issue, moisture entrapment and resultant rotting of wood elements requiring detailed investigations and development of remediation details.
The original Montfort Hospital was constructed in the early 1950’s to serve the French population of eastern Ottawa and Ontario. As part of their last major expansion project and also as part of the ongoing maintenance, Cleland Jardine Engineering Ltd has carried out several masonry investigations and restoration projects at the Hospital.
Cleland Jardine Engineering Ltd assisted an international architectural firm with the condition survey of the Confederation Building exterior masonry. This historic building was constructed between 1927 and 1931 and is an example of gothic revival architecture. The building forms part of parliament hill and is utilized as offices for members of parliament as well as other civil servants.
A visual survey of the exterior was performed to verify the masonry’s condition and the impact of supporting structural steel framing in order to provide the client with a understanding the building’s current condition, repair strategies and limitations. The investigation involved a complete visual survey of the building’s exterior using a personnel basket suspended from a crane as well the coordination and investigation of exploratory openings via scaffolding. Research of historical documentation was performed to provide a current evaluation of the building.